Lasting Impressions – Molds and Etching
Prerequisite: Electroforming on Glass (or prior experience and approval of instructor.)
Class Fee $125.00
Optional – Materials Kit: Additional fee (shipping within the U.S. included)
This class will meet on the following days: (PDT – Los Angeles time)
Aug 29, 2021 at 1:00-5:00 PDT – Discovery, Assembly and Embellishment
Sept 5, 2021 at 1:00-4:00 PDT – The next steps
Sept 12, 2021 at 5:00-7:00 PDT – Class follow-up Q & A
“Lasting Impressions” focuses on the reproduction of your electroformed creations or copying elements to use in electroformed pieces. I have used cameos, parts of action figures, previously electroformed pieces, or anything your imagination desires. These techniques will take your work to “the next level”! Skills include making a mold to create a wax positive and then using the wax positive in a project. In addition, students will learn to etch while electroforming.
Note: Uses both the Zoom and the Facebook platforms. Students will need a free Facebook account.
How the classes work:
- Classes will be presented in a Zoom format.
- Each class will have its own Facebook Classroom with videos and instruction available at any time — for as long as Facebook is willing to host the page. Lessons only on this page.
- A Facebook Question and Answer Group Page – where we will all interact for 30 days. The page will be archived, and available to view.
- Admission to Terry Henry’s Facebook Student Gallery Group for you to share your creations.
*Equipment not included.
Project Materials needed for the Lasting Impressions class:
*Materials Kit for Class (optional) – $125 (shipping within the U.S. included)
- Silicone Putty Mold Material
- Freeman Ruby Red Injection Wax Flakes
- Wax Positive
- Wax Carving Tool
- Wax Melting pot
- Copper Cuff
- Special Anodes
- New Super Glue
- Alcohol Lamp
- Decocolor Oil Based Pen
Additional supplies needed for this project:
- Art Ruling Pen – Amazon search results
- Frisket Masking Fluid
- Quality tweezers
- Denatured Alcohol
- Plastic matt
- Key card or plastic square for gluing
- X-acto knife
- Hand tools (pliers, cutters, etc)
- Soft Brass Brush
- Sunshine Cloth
- Fine point synthetic paint brush
- Magnifying glass or readers
- Any other gemstones you might be interested in using
- Pending – stay tuned
Students should already have these items or the equivalent:
- Distilled water or De-ionized Water
- 1 foot of 12 gauge copper wire for S-hooks (big box hardware store)
- Chopstick with skinny end or bamboo skewers
- 2-3 Small containers – sushi dishes, jar lid, cottage cheese container lid…
- Rubber Gloves
- Funnel – dollar store
- Copper scrubbie
For participants with your own setup, check your paint to be sure it is not too thick. It may be thinned with a bit of distilled water.
Conductive paint may be ordered online from Safer Solutions
Sheet copper and copper wire may be found at ACE hardware stores and numerous craft stores as well as ParaWire
Metal Sheets and Bare Wire.
Electroforming Materials Kit
Rectifier (DC power unit 5 amp)
Conductive paint -2oz recommended size
Midas Bright Copper Electroforming Solution -Item Number: 335074
20-22 gauge sheet copper for Anodes
24 gauge copper spool for hanging project 200’
8 gauge copper wire for tank set up 12’
600ml Beaker-three beakers
Soft Brass Brush
Paint brush-Synthetic bristles
The following are not included:
*Micro Glass Beads
Electroforming kit may be purchased from Microtools