Floral Assembly Class
Prerequisite: All headpins used in the Floral Assembly Class must be made on Nichrome wire.
Recommend enrollment in Headpins, Flowers & Disc Beads Class or purchase premade kit.
Class Fee $175.00
Optional – Materials Kit: $80 (shipping within the U.S. included)
Class time is in PDT (Los Angeles) time
Oct 29, 2022 11:00-1:30 PDT Class Day 1
Oct 30, 2022 11:00-3:00 PDT Class Day 2
Nov 13, 2022 11:00-1:00 PT (Pacific Time) Class Follow-up Q&A
PLEASE NOTE: Q&A DATE HAS CHANGED!
This class focuses on the assembly of a necklace comprised of handmade glass flowers, buds, and leaves on a disk base. Students will leave class with a finished product that is a unique and wearable one-of-a-kind piece of art.
Skills learned in class will be useful beyond this lesson. A step-by-step color tutorial with photographs is included for future reference. Skills taught include coil wire wrapping and the use of pliers and other hand tools for assembly.
Note: Uses both the Zoom and the Facebook platforms. Students will need a free Facebook account.
Colors of projects WILL vary – even if student purchases kit.
How the classes work:
- Classes will be presented in a Zoom format.
- Each class will have its own Facebook Classroom with videos and instruction available at any time — for as long as Facebook is willing to host the page. Lessons only on this page.
- A Facebook Question and Answer Group Page – where we will all interact for 30 days. The page will be archived, and available to view.
- Admission to Terry Henry’s Facebook Student Gallery Group for you to share your creations.
*Equipment not included.
*Pictured to the right are examples of floral headpins made on 24 g nichrome wire. This is not an example of a kit. Large pink rose focal type flower is not included in any kit. If you want a focal flower, contact me.
What you will need for this class:
Glass Components (supply your own or purchase kit below)
- 5-9 handmade lamp work disk beads with large holes
- 3-5 handmade lamp work leaves on nichrome wire
- 3-5 handmade lampwork flower buds on nichrome wire
- 5-7 handmade lampwork bell flowers on nichrome
- 4-6 matching spacer beads (optional)
Wire/Materials (students supply their own)
- 50 feet minimum-24 Gage wire (bare copper recommended*)
- 6 feet 20 gauge wire (bare copper recommended*)
- 1 foot round leather chord 4/5/or 6mm. (optional) Should fit into the bead caps.
- 4 end caps with holes (optional) – size to match your cord diameter
- Clasp (optional)
- Super New Glue
*Why copper wire? I understand the desire to use silver wire to create your necklace and I wholly support this desire, however, if you are just beginning to learn to coil you may experience a lot of waste. That is why I recommend for your very first necklace the use of copper wire. I purchase bare copper wire from Parawire.
- Cobra Coiler
- 3-inch L-bracket (hardware store)
- Bent Chain nose pliers
- Round nose pliers
- Heavy Duty Flush cutters
- Nylon jaw pliers
- Dentist Tool with hook end
- 45° Bead Reamer bit (#2 Diamond Bur Point) DBI 275.50
- 10-15 4mm crystal beads or pearls for embellishment (optional)
- Reading glasses or magnifiers (optional)
- Lighting (optional)
- Placemat or mat to work on (STRONGLY recommended)
Optional Glass Components Kit $80
(Shipping within the US included)
5 handmade lamp work disk beads with large holes
3 handmade lamp work leaves on nichrome wire
3 handmade lampwork flower buds on nichrome wire
5 handmade lampwork bell flowers on nichrome wire
There are only glass components of various coordinating colors in this kit. Students must supply their own wire, as well as clasps, end caps, spacer beads, and leather cords if desired.
Make your own glass components in the Headpins, Flowers & Disc Beads Class