Electroforming Organic Material
Prerequisite: Electroforming on Glass (or prior experience and approval of instructor.)
Class Fee $125.00
Session Dates: (PDT – Los Angeles Time)
July 25, 2021 at 1:00-4:00 PDT – Preparing and Processing Organics
Aug 1, 2021 at 1:00-4:00 PDT – The Next Steps
Aug 8, 2021 at 5:00-7:00 PDT – Class Follow-up Q&A
This class is all about Electroforming Organic Material. I will cover electroforming basic plant material, flowers, leaves, and pods; along with critters (a dead lizard), feathers, and shells. The class project will be whatever organic material you want to use — you will be providing your own dead lizard and other organic material.
Note: Uses both the Zoom and the Facebook platforms. Students will need a free Facebook account.
How the classes work:
- Classes will be presented in a Zoom format.
- Each class will have its own Facebook Classroom with videos and instruction available at any time — for as long as Facebook is willing to host the page. Lessons only on this page.
- A Facebook Question and Answer Group Page – where we will all interact for 30 days. The page will be archived, and available to view.
- Admission to Terry Henry’s Facebook Student Gallery Group for you to share your creations.
*Equipment not included.
Electroforming Materials Kit
Rectifier (DC power unit 5 amp)
Conductive paint -2oz recommended size
Midas Bright Copper Electroforming Solution -Item Number: 335074
20-22 gauge sheet copper for Anodes
24 gauge copper spool for hanging project 200’
8 gauge copper wire for tank set up 12’
600ml Beaker-three beakers
Soft Brass Brush
Paint brush-Synthetic bristles
The following are not included:
*Micro Glass Beads
Electroforming kit may be purchased from Microtools
For participants with your own set up:.
Check your paint to be sure it is not too thick. It may be thinned with a bit of distilled water.
Conductive paint may be ordered online from Safer Solutions
Sheet copper and copper wire may be found at ACE hardware stores and numerous craft stores as well as ParaWire.
Students will need to provide these additional items:
- Dried organic materials to electroplate
- Cheap non-water soluble Satin Lacquer
- One of the following – Super Glue, Super New Glue, Gorilla Glue, or Nail Glue
Students should already have these items or the equivalent:
- Distilled water or De-ionized Water
- 1 foot of 12 gauge copper wire for S-hooks (big box hardware store)
- Chopstick with skinny end or bamboo skewers
- 2-3 Small containers – sushi dishes, jar lid, cottage cheese container lid…
- Rubber Gloves
- Funnel – dollar store
What Terry is using